When you choose Wharton/Lyon & Lyon as your insurance broker, you not only make a sound investment in the immediate security of your company or organization, you make an investment in its future success as well.  We are committed to helping clients achieve their long-term financial goals and plans for growth.  So great is our commitment that many clients consider us business partners.  And that is exactly how it should be.  Because how well we manage your risks has a profound impact on your profitability and your ability to achieve certain goals.

Wharton/Lyon & Lyon has put its skills to work for thousands of clients ranging from financial institutions, schools, manufacturers and service industries to non-profit organizations, contractors, wholesalers and retailers.  Contact Wharton/Lyon & Lyon today.

Linked In

Trusted Choice White


Q: What is fire legal coverage?

A: Fire legal coverage provides coverage to for you if you rent a business space and are held responsible for fire damages to that rented space. It does not apply to all business risks.   

Q: What is the difference between Replacement Cost (RC) and Actual Cash Value (ACV)?

A: Replacement Cost is the current cost to replace property. Actual Cash Value is the replacement cost less depreciation.   

Q: What does 80% co-insurance mean?

A: Insurance carriers require that an insured party insure at least 80% of the property's value in avoid a penalty at the time of loss. This is the way the insurance company encourages all insureds to adequately insure their property for the full replacement cost value.   

Q: Should a business purchase a Flood Insurance Policy?

A: Yes. All properties are located in a flood zone. If your property lies in a high hazard flood zone as determined by US Government Flood Maps, you should purchase a flood insurance policy. Ask us today for a flood quote.   

Q: Does my policy cover physical damage to a vehicle I rent?

A: The business auto policy has coverage available by endorsement known as "Hired Physical Damage" coverage. Call us today for more information.   

Q: Can other people drive my business vehicle?

A: Other people may drive your vehicle with your permission. It is important that they be listed on your policy if they are regular drivers of the vehicle.   

Q: How does an audit work?

A: At the end of the policy term, the insurance company will review the policy and either charge or credit the policyholder based upon an audit of estimated figures. Examples of estimated auditable items include sales and payroll. Audits can be performed onsite by an auditor or via mail or telephone. A premium is charged for audit estimations.   

Q: Why do I need certificates of insurance from sub-contractors?

A: An audit may require you to show proof that sub-contractors had their own insurance coverage. The sub-contractors' certificates of insurance will prevent you from being charged for their exposure.    

Q: What is Commercial General Liability?

A: Commercial General Liability provides coverage if you are legally liable for damages to other individuals arising from your premises, general operations (ongoing and after completion) and products manufactured or sold.   

Q: What does Products/Completed Operations mean?

A: Products/Completed Operations refers to the liability coverage for damages caused by your operation or products after the point at which you no longer have control of them.  

  Q: What is Business Income and Extra Expense coverage?

A: Business Income and Extra Expense coverage provides coverage for income loss and the extra expense of establishing a temporary site during repairs due to damages related to a covered cause of loss.   

Q: What is the difference between "Named Insured", "First Named Insured" and "Additional Insured?"

A: Named Insureds are those listed by name in the relevant block of the policy's declaration page. Although the named insured is commonly one person, partnership, corporation or other entity with insurable interests, multiple named insureds may be included.First Named Insured is the first "named insured" listed on the policy declarations (front page of the policy). This insured acts as the legal agent for all named insureds in initiating cancellation, requesting policy changes or accepting any return premiums. The first named insured may also be responsible for payment of the premiums.Additional Insured is an entity to which a policy's coverage is extended. An additional insured must be added to the policy prior to a claim being paid. There must be a contractual relationship between the additional insured and named insured. Being an additional insured on another's policy does not eliminate the need for that party to have their own Commercial General Liability policy.

Q: Should a business purchase an Excess Liability Policy?

A: Yes. An Excess Liability policy protects policyholders for claims in excess of the limits of their primary automobile, commercial general liability and employer's liability policies. Contact us today for a quote.